The election of Donald Trump was not some inexplicable aberration in American political life. Rather, it was the culmination of the Republican Party having been hijacked by the extreme right and transformed into a party that rejects fundamental ethical values and has mounted an assault on democracy.
Conversation About America backs up this claim in a thought-provoking and unsettling fictional dialogue between a ‘mainstream’ Republican Congressman and a potential donor looking to support candidates who will champion values that truly represent America—respect, truth, majority rule, and loyalty to country.
While primarily aimed at energizing citizens committed to addressing this problem, the book finally answers the question that has been haunting distraught Republicans, “What happened to my party?”
Topics that suggest the seriousness and extent of the G.O.P’s moral failure include:
- Rejection of the concept of “respect” seen in the likely race-based treatment of President Obama. (Chapter Two)
- Rejection of “truth, facts, and intelligence” in denying climate change (despite the connection to international terrorism) and false account of how the economy works. (Chapter Three)
- Desire to impose a conservative religious objection to abortion, held by a minority of Americans. Danger of theocracy. (Chapter Four)
- Hypocritical allegiance to “defending innocent life” in seeking to ban abortion while rejecting any attempt to protect children from school massacres. (Chapter Four)
- Parallels between Faux-G.O.P. and Weimar Germany. The Republican Coup. Treason. Imposition of Minority Rule. (Chapter Five)
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;img alt=”Clicky” width=”1″ height=”1″ src=”//in.getclicky.com/101066450ns.gif” /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;